Username Password: Remember me

New build/worklog - Sponsored by Thermaltake
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: New build/worklog - Sponsored by Thermaltake

New build/worklog - Sponsored by Thermaltake 1 year ago #25764

• Ghostwalker
  • Platinum Boarder
I didn't want to post up until I was sure this was actually going to happen...
Now that I've got most of the parts on hand, it's on!

The concept for this build is to leverage the Thermaltake Core P5's front plexiglass as a display/computer monitor because I didn't want to be tied to a single theme or graphic (and possibly even to game on depending on how well this turns out). I really like the look of the stock case, so I don't plan on modifying it too drastically. And I really want to be able to highlight the components from PDXLAN sponsors Thermaltake, NVidia, MSI, and Corsair.

The keys to success for this build are going to be:
1. The Core P5 computer enclosure not only for the large plexiglass "front", but also because of the flexibility of component placement.
2. A pico projector with a short enough throw distance to project a 26" diagonal image.
3. Intrigue Rear Projection Film - This gives a clear image when used with a projector, but also allows 96% transparency when not illuminated.

Shannon from Thermaltake is hooking me up with a liquid cooling kit that includes:
Pacific W2 CPU Water Block
Pacific Pump & Reservoir combo (Not sure exactly which model yet.)
Pacific RL420 Radiator
V-Tubler PETG Tube 5/8” (16mm)
Pacific Hard Tube Bending Kit
A 3 Pack of Riing 14 LED RGB 256 Colors High Static Pressure LED Radiator Fans
And Fittings!

The rest of the hardware will be:
  • MSI Z170A Gaming M7 motherboard

• Intel Core i7 - 6700K LGA1151 CPU

• Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050w 80+Platinum PSU

• Corsair 32gb Dominator Platinum RAM kit

• Samsung 512gb 950 Pro M.2 drive

• ASUS Strix GTX 970 video cards

• I was able to get most of the non-cooling parts in today, so here is the pic of the pile of awesome:

Tomorrow I plan on assembling the Core P5 and mounting the components to get a rough idea of how I want to configure the cooling loop as well as where I'm going to place the projector.

Some of the things that I know I'll need to account for:
    1. Extending the front plexiglass to allow for projector distance.
    2. Mounting the projector behind the enclosure, but retaining the ability to wall mount the case. (This will probably require a first surface mirror to cleanly display the image from a vertical mount point and then making cuts to allow the image to pass through the body of the case.)

My Wife, Niki, gave me a great idea to counter the forward center of gravity once I've extended the plexiglass mounts: A small, probably 3D printed "stand" that the front can rest on. This way it could be set on a desktop or table, and won't tilt.

This is my first worklog, so I'll do my best to take pictures and document the process.
    Sr. System Engineer and Wifi Nerd- Riot Games.

Re: New build/worklog - Sponsored by Thermaltake 1 year ago #25768

• Ghostwalker
    • Platinum Boarder
    Update:
    I'm either going to make, or have made, custom sleeving for the power connections, so I unboxed and mounted almost everything today. I really want to make sure that I've got accurate measurements so that the power lines look clean. This will also give me the opportunity to measure for the hardlines once the liquid cooling kit gets here.

I also mounted a stunt-double hard drive to get an idea just how much room it would take up if I kept it on the front side of the chasis.
    Because I'm going to mount a projector in the back, and cut through so that it can light up the front window, I think that's going to be a non-starter. Sorry drives, in the back you go...
    Working with this chasis is a freakin breeze! I have yet *knock on wood* to carve up my knuckles trying to tighten a screw or installing a part. That alone, for me, is worth the price of admission...

There were some details to the Core P5 as well as the Gaming M7 that I thought were nice touches:
    I really like that the Core P5 has 4 separate mounting positions for the power supply retainer. It seems like a really small detail, but I dig the flexibility. I also really like the inclusion of rubber mounting corners (I'm sure I'll think of a better word at some point...) with the Toughtpower Grand PSU. They were a lot easier to use than some of the gaskets that I've used with other PSUs.
    Another thing is the inclusion of a philips head/hex driver for the motherboard standoffs. Again, it's a minor thing, but I still thought it was a great idea.
    The inclusion of SATA cable labels with the Gaming M7 motherboard is also a little creature comfort that, I suspect, didn't cost MSI a ton of money but is a definite, "nice-to-have."

Oh, and in my mad race for power and glory, I forgot one small detail...
    Corsair Dominator RAM doesn't come with the lightbar stock. Sonofa... Something I'll have to pick up later. I'm sure it won't be the last.

And last, but not least, today is, "I'm glad that I RTFM" day. When mounting the M.2 drive, I was going to put it in the mobo's M_1 slot. Turns out this slot will default to SATA depending on what other drives you have installed in the SATA 6gb ports. If you want your NVME to run on PCI-E, use the non-intuitive M_2 connector just above the x16 PCI-E slot.

And here are some pics from today's work -
    The rest can be found in the gallery here: imgur.com/a/UHAj9

Blank slate (with feet...)

A handy attachement!

The Gaming M7

PSU & Mobo mounted

Now with 100% more graphics riser and HD

Packed up for today

Bonus - My pug assistant.

Re: New build/worklog - Sponsored by Thermaltake 1 year ago #25770

• Ghostwalker
    • Platinum Boarder
    Today's update:

Today's gallery for larger images:
    imgur.com/a/jxnHl

The liquid cooling kit from Thermaltake came in today!
    A quick breakdown of what they sent:
    Thermaltake Pacific PR22-D5 pump & reservoir
    Thermaltake pacific RL420 radiator
    Thermaltake Pacific W2 CPU water block
    16,000mm of Thermaltake V-Tubler PETG hardline
    And a box of Thermaltake compression fittings

I didn't end up getting nearly as far as I thought I would tonight. The processor is installed, along with the Pacific W2 water block.

After that, it was mostly getting an idea of the spacing between the pump/res if I were to mount the RL420 radiator perpendicular to the case in a push/pull config.

Tomorrow (today now? eh, it's late...) I'll keep researching ways to mount the radiator, and get some good plans roughed out for what I want the cooling loop to look like.

I might even clean up my desk a bit. (But probably not...)

Re: New build/worklog - Sponsored by Thermaltake 1 year ago #25771

• Joker808
    • Administrator
    Huge thanks to Thermaltake and Shannon in particular. He's really helping builders showcase the good from Tt.

Great build so far, Ghost.. this going to be at PDX then?

Re: New build/worklog - Sponsored by Thermaltake 1 year ago #25775

• Ghostwalker
    • Platinum Boarder
    Definitely huge thanks to Shannon and Thermaltake!

Thank you, and yes sir, I'LL be bringing this to PDX November.
    Last Edit: 1 year ago by Ghostwalker.

Re: New build/worklog - Sponsored by Thermaltake 11 months, 3 weeks ago #25796

• Eadmanday
    • Administrator
    That looks Sweet! have you benched it yet?

Thermaltake is awesome! +1 Shannon

Re: New build/worklog - Sponsored by Thermaltake 11 months, 1 week ago #25802

• Gov
    • Gold Boarder
    Ghost - your build is looking really nice. And I want my desk to look like yours does now. THAT's clean for me!
    Meddle not in the affaires of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with SALSA-Q! But then again, doesn't EVERYTHING?
    • Page:
    Time to create page: 0.23 seconds
    Turn off/on Sound Smileys History FAQ Kide Chat
    Psyberian: For the guys not on facebook. Some of us are looking at the Nov LAN
    Geekgurl: Time to Vote for shirts!!! GO GO GO!
    Cpt.spike: Never mind i got a copy from my dad
    Joker808: ooh colors
    Joker808: fun
    Joker808: Goo idea Spike.. ya never know. Offering to mow a lawn or two in exchange is always fair, too.
    Cpt.spike: Hey If anyone gets a copy of Battle Field 1 and will never play it of just has a extra can you keep me in mind?
    Psyberian: For those not into 'the facebooks' I put a question there if people want to see Doctor Strange the Thursday before the LAN.
    Joker808: PVZ GW2
    sirjakeyjake: What's everyone playing tonight?
    Psyberian: Should we start thinking about shirts for November?
    Joker808: yes, am cricket.
    Eadmanday: wait your a cricket Joker?
    Joker808: yes?
    Eadmanday: crickets!!! Hey all !
    Joker808: thank you :D
    Geekgurl: Seat transfers are starting now!
    Geekgurl: 37 SEATS ARE RESERVED
    Ghostwalker: Can't freakin' wait! ^_^
    Geekgurl: 37 seats Paid in full Folks!!!!
    Geekgurl: IMPORTANT EMAIL SENT RE: LANREG. Please check your email!! Notify me if you do not get the email!!!
    Geekgurl: FRIDAY!!! This means TOMORROW!!!! Cut off is fast approaching!!!!
    Psyberian: well vectorlan is a go
    Geekgurl: NOVEMBER 4-6, $67 Email being sent out. Payments and info GO GO GO!!!!
    Joker808: woot for loot
    Cpt.spike: Hey Can someone msg me a code for pvz gw 2?
    zubzero2: Account is back up..
    Joker808: Yes.. shirts for sure if we want something a bit diff this year. Also booking rooms.
    Psyberian: Just a heads up. We need to start thinking about the November PDXLAN
    Joker808: BL 1 anyone?
    Flutters: ...all the time, and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats
    Gov: Ho ho, ha ha, to the funny farm, where life is beautiful!
    Flutters: they are coming to take me away haha!
    Gov: Rhyming may be fun, but it might just bring out the men in the white jackets, with the butterfly (or Flutterby) nets
    Flutters: Rhyming is fun!
    Eadmanday: C and whats with the all the words that sound the same!!!

Only registered users can send messages, register or login

Who's online

None
     TTlogo