Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

The Checklist: What to bring to a LAN.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Checklist: What to bring to a LAN.

The Checklist: What to bring to a LAN. 10 years, 6 months ago #2177

• Ghostwalker
  • Platinum Boarder
Welcome to the Willamette Valley Gamers site. We're a group that enjoys playing video games and hanging out with/making new friends. If you've found this thread on our Forum, odds are you'll be wanting to join us at a LAN event sometime in the near future.

To that end, here is a helpful checklist of things that you'll need to make your experience more enjoyable:

• Must have items:
    • 1. Computer - This one's fairly self explanatory. As the games that we play evolve and/or change I won't be posting specs here. If you're unsure whether your machine will play the games we're currently running, please feel free to ask someone in the Forum.
    • 2. Monitor - The only thing to note here is that we sometimes utilize venues that have a limited amount of space. We try to accommodate everyone, but if you want to bring anything over a 24" flat panel or 19" CRT, please let one of the Forum Admins know.
    • 3. Keyboard, Mouse, and Mouse Surface (pad) - Unless you like playing games on a piece of cardboard duct taped to the table... Heh, your call.
    • 4. Network Cable - While we often provide all of the networking cables, it's never a bad idea to bring a spare just in case.
    • 5. Headphones - Yes, the 7.1 DTS speaker system you've got is amazing, but due to space and noise considerations, please just bring headphones for gaming. We occasionally run TeamSpeak, but a microphone is not a mandatory requirement. If you would like to bring speakers to show something off, please talk to one of the Admins on the Forum in advance of the event.
    • 6. Surge Protector - This one is an absolute must-have if you value your gear at all. We take every precaution to ensure that your equipment is safe while you're at one of our events, but it's ultimately up to you to take reasonable steps to protect your machine. Another thing to note: A Surge Protector and an Outlet Strip are NOT the same thing!! A Surge Protector will have a visible fuse reset button, while an Outlet Strip will not. For more information on how Surge Protectors work, please click here.
    • 7. Your collection of games - We realize that not everyone has every video game ever put out for the PC, but please bring what you've got. We want everyone to have a good time at an event, and traditionally we have purchased multiple copies of a popular game to ensure everyone can play. If you don't have a particular game, please let one of the Admin staff at the event know, and we will try to help you out.
    • 8. A Sense of Humor - This is often the most underrated must have item. We're a group of gamers that enjoys playing together socially. For us, it's not always about the competition, but about spending a day with old friends and making new ones while perusing a hobby that we have in common. If you're prone to anger, can't take a good natured joke, and can't talk a little harmless smack, then you may need to reconsider if gaming with -=WVG=- is the right option for you.

• Optional Items:
    • 1. Drivers for your hardware - There's not much more frustrating than installing that new piece of hardware the day before an event, and then realizing that it's not working properly once you get there. It never hurts to have drivers handy "just in case."
    • 2. Writeable/portable media - This includes CDs, DVDs, and USB-Drives.
    • 3. Gamepad/Joystick - Not everyone likes flying in Battlefield using a keyboard and mouse. If you're one of these people, don't forget to bring your controller!
    • 4. Comfortable Chair - For most venues, we will have seating available. However, nothing beats that plush office chair that you've been breaking in for the last 3 years... Most of our events will specify whether or not we can accommodate bringing in your own seating.
    • 5. Spares of any of the above - A big part of our events and these Forums is our sense of comradery and community. It never hurts to bring spare gear to help out in case someone else forgot. The only thing to note here is to properly mark, or be able to identify, your gear if you do loan it out.

For those of your that don't have a computer, monitor, etc. here are a couple of options:
    • 1. A WVG Squatter Box - WVG has rental machines to accommodate a few players for our events. The cost is nominal, and the machines are extremely well maintained for our events. If you are interested in using one of our machines, please send a PM to Joker at least 3 days before the day of the event.
    • 2. Community Assistance - One of the great things about being a gaming community is that there is almost always someone on our Forum that's willing to help out with some advice on a project, information on how something works, and possibly a spare monitor or cable for a LAN. It never hurts to post on the Forum and ask for help. This method isn't as "sure-fire" as renting a machine, but it never hurts to ask.

If you have any questions about the topics covered in this post, please don't hesitate to ask by posting in our Forum. We look forward to seeing you at our next LAN event!
Sr. System Engineer and Wifi Nerd- Riot Games.
Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by Ghostwalker. Reason: Fixed tags for new site format; Updated to 24" monitor; added lead time for Squatter boxes.
  • Page:
Moderators: Drykk
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds
Turn off/on Sound Smileys History FAQ Kide Chat
Psyberian: For the guys not on facebook. Some of us are looking at the Nov LAN
Geekgurl: Time to Vote for shirts!!! GO GO GO!
Cpt.spike: Never mind i got a copy from my dad
Joker808: ooh colors
Joker808: fun
Joker808: Goo idea Spike.. ya never know. Offering to mow a lawn or two in exchange is always fair, too.
Cpt.spike: Hey If anyone gets a copy of Battle Field 1 and will never play it of just has a extra can you keep me in mind?
Psyberian: For those not into 'the facebooks' I put a question there if people want to see Doctor Strange the Thursday before the LAN.
Joker808: PVZ GW2
sirjakeyjake: What's everyone playing tonight?
Psyberian: Should we start thinking about shirts for November?
Joker808: yes, am cricket.
Eadmanday: wait your a cricket Joker?
Joker808: yes?
Eadmanday: crickets!!! Hey all !
Joker808: thank you :D
Geekgurl: Seat transfers are starting now!
Geekgurl: 37 SEATS ARE RESERVED
Ghostwalker: Can't freakin' wait! ^_^
Geekgurl: 37 seats Paid in full Folks!!!!
Geekgurl: IMPORTANT EMAIL SENT RE: LANREG. Please check your email!! Notify me if you do not get the email!!!
Geekgurl: FRIDAY!!! This means TOMORROW!!!! Cut off is fast approaching!!!!
Psyberian: well vectorlan is a go
Geekgurl: NOVEMBER 4-6, $67 Email being sent out. Payments and info GO GO GO!!!!
Joker808: woot for loot
Cpt.spike: Hey Can someone msg me a code for pvz gw 2?
zubzero2: Account is back up..
Joker808: Yes.. shirts for sure if we want something a bit diff this year. Also booking rooms.
Psyberian: Just a heads up. We need to start thinking about the November PDXLAN
Joker808: BL 1 anyone?
Flutters: ...all the time, and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats
Gov: Ho ho, ha ha, to the funny farm, where life is beautiful!
Flutters: they are coming to take me away haha!
Gov: Rhyming may be fun, but it might just bring out the men in the white jackets, with the butterfly (or Flutterby) nets
Flutters: Rhyming is fun!
Eadmanday: C and whats with the all the words that sound the same!!!

Only registered users can send messages, register or login

Who's online

None
 TTlogo