Username Password: Remember me

Should we switch it up a bit?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Should we switch it up a bit?

Should we switch it up a bit? 1 year, 10 months ago #25475

• Joker808
  • Administrator
We have been going to PDXLan for years now for the summer event and I love it. Warm breezes and cold hotels rooms. I don't love the heat that swelters during peak times and other than the first lan when the new A/C was put in, it does not seem to be able to cut it and keep it cool.

I have heard some voices and myself has asked... should we do the Feb lan instead? Or the November lan?

Well here are some thoughts about each of them from my viewpoint.
LAN gaming is dead. Feb lan is big and kinda like the July lan.. so prizes, right?
November lan is more about gaming, but now it's LOL, or DOTA. We need some variety in games.
Trying to get more than 6 people in any game is unlikely due to the games people are playing. That's fine and that's what's being played. So is a LAN about LAN game play anymore, no. So why do I go.

1. to be with friends
2. to have a break from being a parent ( love them kids, but this is neat)
3. reflection on that last year

I can have these things at any point during the year. On that note, I'd be down for any PDXLan.
Maybe things will change a bit for the registration system of PDXLan, maybe not. I think that at least I would like to try out lanning in the cooler months for a couple. It seems weird to not go to the summer lans, but the group I play with would be the same and that's primarily why I go.

What do you folks think?
~J
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by Joker808.

Re: Should we switch it up a bit? 1 year, 10 months ago #25476

• Gorian
  • Junior Boarder
Sounds like you guys need to come to LANFest

I agree with your sentiments about actually playing LAN games. Nice thing about LANFest Northwest is... me! Come to LANFest Northwest in Hillsboro, and if you want to see a specific game, let me know. I run the servers and can actually make specific games or events happen. One event I setup a Brutal Doom server running FreeDoom, it was kind of interesting. Also, things like Artemis and other LAN games to encourage people to actually LAN with other participants. I'd love to see you guys come and give us feedback!

Also, LANFest is at Ronler Acres, and I've never had issues with Intel's A/C.

Re: Should we switch it up a bit? 1 year, 10 months ago #25479

I will have to think on that a bit. A PDX.5 might be a nice change up

Re: Should we switch it up a bit? 1 year, 10 months ago #25481

• spiketail
  • Administrator
Whatever the group decides, I'll try to best fit it to my schedule. But a change wouldn't be a bad thing.

And not slow roasting would be nice!
Battle.net: Spiketail#1828

Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by spiketail.

Re: Should we switch it up a bit? 1 year, 10 months ago #25489

• Eadmanday
  • Administrator
I have gone to both the Feb and Nov, They are a blast. I like the nov as its a charity lan, but it is also more expense during a very expensive time of year, that send it fits better in my schedule quite well.

Re: Should we switch it up a bit? 1 year, 10 months ago #25492

I have thoughts.

- One of the hindrances to July for me is, simply, the extra expense of it being a four-day event. Remove a day, and it's suddenly much more financially "acceptable" in this household. Four days is great, but...more LAN total is great.
Having said that, my wife's birthday is the week after, and our anniversary is the week after that, so it's always a bit of a...struggle. On the contrary, mine and Emily's birthdays are in November, so that could be a (good) thing for us.

- Charity LAN = awesome. WVG is one of the bigger groups, and we could really do some additional good with our numbers.

That's them, for now.

=jb=
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joker808

Re: Should we switch it up a bit? 1 year, 10 months ago #25494

• Gov
  • Gold Boarder
I go to both the November and February PDXLANs. To be honest, I like the November LAN more than the other two, as there isn't the contests, tournaments and stuff. I get to game with folks, meet up, and have a good time without all of the pressures that the numbered events have.

Note: the most prizing, IF I remember correctly, was at the last November LAN. Don't know if that will hold again, but....

No leet seats in the November LAN. and it's gone from 300 to 450 seats. Maybe I'm just burning out on large LANs, but I'm not sure about this November other than more folks, more donations.
will go with the group, as GNW folks aren't going to PDXLAN - some sort of bad blood between Matt and Ryan.

I don't know quite what I'm saying here. I like the little LANs at the Hilton. I just have to get a little more involved in the games. It's what I think of as a LAN. No pounding on sponsors, sponsors, sponsors, prizes, prizes, prizes, tournaments, contests, and whatever entertainment Matt can think up to torture the crowd.... Meh. Maybe this is just a bad night.

See everyone tomorrow!!!
Meddle not in the affaires of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with SALSA-Q! But then again, doesn't EVERYTHING?

Re: Should we switch it up a bit? 1 year, 9 months ago #25547

• Geekgurl
  • WVG Mom
So, About this!

At this point in time it is looking like we may make a big push for November. I have been privately contacting as many people as I can. NOT everyone has responded as of yet, but the majority of responses I have received are for November, Both or Either/Don't Care

I have had NO ONE say I am dead set on Summer. So that is 17 responses in favor of November as far as I can tell.

Re: Should we switch it up a bit? 1 year, 9 months ago #25548

• Psyberian
  • Platinum Boarder
One thing I just realized. A november PDXLAN could mean no WVGLAN in November or December. So we go this way we need to plan for a big new year WVGLAN.
If life gives you lemons, DON'T MAKE LEMONADE! MAKE LIFE TAKE THE LEMONS BACK!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geekgurl

Re: Should we switch it up a bit? 1 year, 9 months ago #25549

• Geekgurl
  • WVG Mom
Joker : November
Saint : November
Brian : November
Melissa : November
Num : November
Psy : November
TTM : November
Soybean : EITHER (Preferably November though)
Incident : EITHER (what works for Geekgurl)
Ghostwalker : EITHER (what ^she Said)
Kamiyama : EITHER (what Ghostwalker decides)
Drykk : EITHER
Spiketail : EITHER
Batmantha : EITHER (what works for Geekgurl)
Flutters : EITHER
Reaper : EITHER
ZubZero : EITHER
Smiles : July
Infektion : BOTH
Gov : Both
SHOCKER OF THE DAY!!!! Vector : BOTH!!!!!! (I bet this guy is the kinda person who attends ALL the events......... LIKE A BOSS!!!!!)
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by Geekgurl.

Re: Should we switch it up a bit? 1 year, 8 months ago #25552

• Flutters
  • Gold Boarder
I am down for either as stated above. Having come back just this month, I have the hunger for more LAN's!

Gotta maintain my addiction, I need my fix man!
Dispensing free Banshee crushings since 1812
  • Page:
Moderators: Drykk
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds
Turn off/on Sound Smileys History FAQ Kide Chat
Joker808: got shirts?
Psyberian: For the guys not on facebook. Some of us are looking at the Nov LAN
Geekgurl: Time to Vote for shirts!!! GO GO GO!
Cpt.spike: Never mind i got a copy from my dad
Joker808: ooh colors
Joker808: fun
Joker808: Goo idea Spike.. ya never know. Offering to mow a lawn or two in exchange is always fair, too.
Cpt.spike: Hey If anyone gets a copy of Battle Field 1 and will never play it of just has a extra can you keep me in mind?
Psyberian: For those not into 'the facebooks' I put a question there if people want to see Doctor Strange the Thursday before the LAN.
Joker808: PVZ GW2
sirjakeyjake: What's everyone playing tonight?
Psyberian: Should we start thinking about shirts for November?
Joker808: yes, am cricket.
Eadmanday: wait your a cricket Joker?
Joker808: yes?
Eadmanday: crickets!!! Hey all !
Joker808: thank you :D
Geekgurl: Seat transfers are starting now!
Geekgurl: 37 SEATS ARE RESERVED
Ghostwalker: Can't freakin' wait! ^_^
Geekgurl: 37 seats Paid in full Folks!!!!
Geekgurl: IMPORTANT EMAIL SENT RE: LANREG. Please check your email!! Notify me if you do not get the email!!!
Geekgurl: FRIDAY!!! This means TOMORROW!!!! Cut off is fast approaching!!!!
Psyberian: well vectorlan is a go
Geekgurl: NOVEMBER 4-6, $67 Email being sent out. Payments and info GO GO GO!!!!
Joker808: woot for loot
Cpt.spike: Hey Can someone msg me a code for pvz gw 2?
zubzero2: Account is back up..
Joker808: Yes.. shirts for sure if we want something a bit diff this year. Also booking rooms.
Psyberian: Just a heads up. We need to start thinking about the November PDXLAN
Joker808: BL 1 anyone?
Flutters: ...all the time, and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats
Gov: Ho ho, ha ha, to the funny farm, where life is beautiful!
Flutters: they are coming to take me away haha!
Gov: Rhyming may be fun, but it might just bring out the men in the white jackets, with the butterfly (or Flutterby) nets
Flutters: Rhyming is fun!

Only registered users can send messages, register or login

Who's online

None
 TTlogo